August was full of summer activities, but I managed to squeeze out three paintings in my new studio. The first was a very small abstract experiment (oil), followed closely by a tiny painting of dragonflies for a little boy’s first birthday (acrylic).
I decided to jump into my first ‘real’ painting, based loosely on a photo I took on Hornby Island earlier in the summer, with both feet. It’s a large-ish painting, 28″ x 22″, and it saw me employing a slightly different process with more underpainting. It’s an oil painting so I needed to wait about a week for the underpainting to dry. I’m eager to try this method again as I can see where the process can be tweaked and the underpainting allowed more ‘presence’ in the finished work.